Man is not a machine. Rather, man HAS a machine. When you take control of your mind, you take control of your life!
Stressed, Anxious, Irritable? Are your thoughts constantly filled with negative self talk? Does your patience wear thin… very, very thin?
If so, I have some information that may just change your life forever.
If you haven’t heard of neuroplasticity, you are definitely in for a real treat. What if I told you that your mind is not a “fixed” object? That you actually have the ability to rewire your brain?!
Okay, this can either be completely terrifying or unbelievably liberating. You have the power to create an all powerful, positive, healthy brain. On the flip side, you have the ability to create an all consuming, negative, pit of suffering.
Sound a little far fetched? Well, scientists have actually been going in HARD on this topic for quite some time. Here are some things you need to understand about YOUR brain.
- The human brain is the puppet master. It is directly involved in every part of your being, from how you feel to how you act.
- Your brain has numerous systems that are in charge of everything from motivation to anxiety.
- Science has shown that there are many things we can do to enhance areas of our brain that are responsible for overall well being and peace.
The ONE thing you need to understand about neuroplasticity is:
- YOU ARE NOT STUCK WITH THE BRAIN YOU CURRENTLY HAVE. Our brain’s potential was NOT set at birth! Your brain is constantly changing and adapting. You have the ability to optimize your life in every aspect including emotional regulation, memory, attention, and the list goes on and on.
If you want to get technical, a definition of neuroplasticity follows:
The brain engages in synaptic pruning, deleting the neural connections that are no longer necessary or useful, and strengthens necessary ones.
What does this mean? Every time we complete a task, finding a more efficient way of doing something, our brain takes note. These notes are used to make structural and connection changes.
What does this mean for you? When you begin practicing patience vs frustration, responding vs reacting, positive self talk vs adrenaline producing thoughts of fear and danger, etc., you are strengthening these pathways. You are training your brain to take a different route. Your are weakening the negative neural connections that once consumed your life.
One thing to remember is that these new pathways don’t just stick overnight. It takes time and repetition to make these thoughts, habits, emotions, and responses become second nature. In time, these neural pathways become your go-to response. Leaving just a trace of the old, useless, and unhealthy patterns that once wreaked havoc on your mental and physical health.
One thing to keep in mind is that you are ALWAYS rewiring or reinforcing thought and behavior patterns. You have the ability to choose which patterns will be made stronger.
How can you begin rewiring your brain today?
- Meditation: Calm stress and enhance brain function.
- Mindfulness: Form a new relationship with your habitual thought patterns.
- Visualization: Enhance motivation and increase confidence.
I will posting more about these topics in the coming weeks. For now, breath easy knowing that you can cultivate a life of calm and peace with the right tools and enough practice!
Please share your thoughts down below or write me a message. I love to hear your feedback and would love to connect!